On-Demand Course: A 3 Step Approach to Nurturing Interoceptive Awareness
Version 2.0 of one of our most popular courses! Interoception is the hottest topic in neuroscience and our understanding of this important sense is rapidly growing and shifting forward. Learn the latest about how interoception vastly influences our daily lives, providing a foundation for mental health, emotion regulation, self-understanding, communication, language, toileting, eating, health management, social connection and many more. This 3.5-hour course provides an overview of what research tells us about interoception, as well as a step-by-step process for nurturing interoceptive awareness that is rooted in evidence and lived experiences.
You will have unlimited access to all course materials for 6 months from the date of purchase.
An AOTA Approved Provider Course.
Ready to get started with the course?
Group Discount Available:
2-5 Participants: 15% Discount
6+ Participants: 25% Discount
*Be sure to click the group option when adding courses to your cart, and the discount will apply automatically!
This On-Demand Course Includes:
- 3.5-hours instruction with Kelly
- 6-months (180 days) unlimited access to the course
- Personalized certificate of completion
- Access to 4 handouts
- While this course is excellent for a wide variety of attendees, this course is approved for 0.35 AOTA CEUs (3.5 contact hours)
- BONUS! Includes bonus videos showing practical strategies in action
What you’ll learn:
- What current science and lived experience tells us about interoception
- How we all have unique interoceptive experiences, so a process of self-exploration and curiosity is key
- What are Interoceptive Awareness Extremes (muted, intense, or distorted inner sensations) and how these IA Extremes can affect many aspects of life
- How compliance-based approaches derail our interoceptive experiences
- Why labeling the emotions of other people is often unhelpful
- Why nurturing interoceptive awareness should be done before using any cognitive based emotion regulation approaches (and why many people can memorize emotion regulation techniques but struggle to use them ‘in the moment’)
- A 3-Step process for developing interoceptive awareness that enables a client to discover and communicate interoceptive experiences in a way that can be mutually understood.
Who this course is for:
- You are supporting learning in any or all the following areas: emotion language, emotion regulation, sensory regulation, mental health, ‘behavior’, toileting, eating, health care management, self-understanding, social connection
- You are an Occupational Therapy Practitioner, Educator, Mental Health Provider, Speech and Language Pathologist, Behaviorist, or Parent/Caregiver who wants to help learners be better understood and supported.
- You are a neurodivergent person who wants to understand the current up to date thought in the field relating to how providers can understand important aspects of working with the neurodivergent population.
- You want to remain on the cutting edge of practice and serve in ways that are in line with the most current science and reports of lived experience
- You want to feel empowered with information you can use to create buy-in for a modern and affirming approach.
- What is Interoception?
- Unique Inner Experiences
- The Vast Influence of IA
- A 3 Step Approach for Nurturing IA
- BONUS: IA Builders in Action
So, who am I?:
More about Kelly Mahler: I am a fiery and passionate person that loves to crunch pinecones, cuddle with my 2 Corgi puppies and cook (sometimes poorly) with my family. I earned a Doctorate in Occupational Therapy from Misericordia University, Dallas, PA and have been an occupational therapist for 19 years, serving school-aged children and adults. I’m winner of multiple awards including the 2020 American Occupational Therapy Association Emerging and Innovative Practice Award & a Mom’s Choice Gold Medal. I am an international speaker and enjoy presenting on topics related to the twelve resources I’ve authored including The Interoception Curriculum.
The Official Stuff:
- Course Level: There are no prerequisites for this course
- AOTA Areas: Foundational Knowledge, OT Service Delivery
- CE Learning Outcomes: By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the neurophysiology underlying the generation and transmission of body signals that form the basis for interoceptive awareness.
- Understand the continuum of interoceptive awareness as applied to bodily systems, and the influence of the environment, trauma, and illness as factors that may disrupt effective interoceptive awareness.
- Identify the relationship between interoceptive awareness and self-regulation of responses designed to maintain homeostasis and emotional expression.
- Demonstrate awareness of and use of interoceptive techniques that can be utilized within occupational therapy treatment to facilitate occupational performance, emotional well-being, and overall health.
- Describe current research in the area of interoception and how this evidence can be utilized to refine application of concepts presented in the course.
- Contact Hours: This course is worth 3.5 contact hours or 0.35 AOTA CEUs.
- Completion Requirements:To receive credit and certificate for this course you must listen to the course in its entirety, pass the accompanying assessment with an 80% or higher and complete a course evaluation. With the exception of AOTA-approved CEUs, this course is not approved or affiliated with any governing bodies that award continuing education credits, so continuing education credits are not guaranteed.
- ADA/Section 504:If you require special accommodations, please contact us at [email protected]
- Kelly Mahleris an Approved Provider of Continuing Education for occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants by the American Occupational Therapy Association. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Contact us at [email protected].
An AOTA Approved Provider Course.
AOTA Course, On-Demand
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.