On-Demand Course: The 5 Keys to Behavior Regulation: How to Support ‘Challenging Behavior’ in a Kinder, More Effective Manner
For way too long, behavioral regulation needs have only been viewed at the surface level resulting in many children and adults being misunderstood and many underlying needs overlooked. As an autistic self-advocate and someone that has been subject to surface behavioral approaches, Chloe will share first-hand accounts about the long-term detrimental impact that these approaches have had on her life. The 5 Keys to Behavioral Regulation provides a practical, evidence-based framework for offering strategies that respect and support the underlying regulation needs in children and adults with a variety of learning needs.
What you’ll learn:
- The issues with current trends in behavior assessment and supports
- First-hand stories of the long-term detrimental impacts of certain behavioral approaches
- Why the term ‘challenging behavior’ should be replaced with terms such as ‘stress response’ or ‘dysregulation’
- How to begin to see past observable behaviors and better understand the underlying causes that often contribute to what we see on the outside
- The 5 Keys to Behavior Regulation which is an evidence-based framework for supporting the regulation needs in children and adults in a kinder, more effective manner:
- Key 1: Building Positive Relationships + Understanding the Whys
- Key 2: Meeting Sensory Needs
- Key 3: Increasing Predictability & Use of Visual Supports
- Key 4: Providing Communication Supports
- Key 5: Interoception, Empowering Self-Regulation & Getting More of the Good Stuff
- Many practical strategies for immediately implementing the 5 Keys to Behavior Regulation in a variety of settings
- Information applicable to learners of a variety of ages, backgrounds, diagnoses & learning styles
What You Will Get:
2-hours instruction with Kelly + Chloe
6-months unlimited access
Access to 3 exclusive downloadable resources
Personalized certificate of completion
For way too long, behavioral regulation needs have only been viewed at the surface level resulting in many children and adults being misunderstood and many underlying needs overlooked. This course will review the issues with the current trends in both behavior assessments as well as the traditional behavior-based supports. As an autistic self-advocate and someone that has been subject to surface behavioral approaches, Chloe will share first-hand accounts about the long-term detrimental impact that these approaches have had on her life. The emerging research that echoes Chloe’s experiences will be shared and will provide further justification for why we need to see past observable behaviors and get better at supporting the underlying causes that often contribute to what it is we see on the outside. The 5 Keys to Behavioral Regulation provides a practical, evidence-based framework for offering strategies that respect and support the underlying regulation needs in children and adults with a variety of learning needs. During this course, many practical strategies will be shared (or demonstrated live!) that will help you implement the following 5 Keys needed for the successful support of behavior regulation:
· Key 1: Building Positive Relationships + Understanding the Whys
· Key 2: Meeting Sensory Needs
· Key 3: Increasing Predictability & Use of Visual Supports
· Key 4: Providing Communication Supports
· Key 5: Interoception, Empowering Self-Regulation & Getting More of the Good Stuff
The practical, evidence-based strategies shared during this course are easy to implement and are applicable in supporting learners of a variety of ages, backgrounds, diagnoses & learning styles. If you are ready to enhance your ability to better support the behavior regulation needs of the learners you serve, register today.
Who this course is for:
- You are serving learners that have so-called challenging behaviors.
- You are an Occupational Therapy Practitioner, Educator, Mental Health Provider, Speech and Language Pathologist, Behaviorist, or Caregiver who wants to help dysregulated learners be better supported.
- You know there is a better way at providing behavior regulation supports, but you aren’t sure where to start or you need more ideas.
- You want to learn more about regulation needs directly from a self-advocate that has lived experiences.
- You want to remain on the cutting edge of practice and follow what the research states as the best evidence-based approach for supporting behavior regulation.
- You want to feel empowered with information you can use to create buy-in for a different approach to supporting behavior regulation
Christy M. Amazing course! Chloe and Kelly are wonderful presenters and play so well off of each other. I loved every minute of the course and didn’t want it to end. As a school-based OT I support lots of dysregulated students. For years, I’ve been on teams that strongly emphasize a ‘surface behavior’ approach with these students. I knew there was a better way to support their needs, but it was intimidating to contradict the current approach because I wasn’t really sure what to suggest as an alternative. The information presented in this course gave me confidence to return to my job and advocate for a better approach to behavior regulation. I loved the 5 Keys framework and all of the practical strategies presented. If you want to learn how to better support behavior regulation needs, this is the right course for you. I feel so empowered! Thank you, Chloe and Kelly. Blessings.
So, who are we?:
We are Chloe Rothschild and Kelly Mahler and have been friends for 7 years and speaking together at conferences internationally for 5 years. It didn’t take us long to discover that we share a lot of common passions including educating others about the provision of more kind and effective supports. We co-authored a book (with another friend Jarvas Alma) called My Interoception Workbook: A Guide for Adolescents, Teens & Adults in 2019.
More about Chloe: I’m a young adult with autism who is a very passionate self-advocate. I have been educating others about autism from my perspective for the past 9 years and enjoy speaking on a variety of topics related to autism including but not limited to: communication/AAC, Autism from my perspective/my journey, Interoception/Sensory and more. I received the 2020 David Joyce Self Advocate of the Year Award from the Autism Society of America and serve on the board of directors for the ARC of the United States and the OCALI Advisory board. Before COVID-19, I worked in an autism support classroom as a teacher’s aide. Currently, I use my love of art to make the world brighter with my own business Creativity by Chloe Art.
More about Kelly: I earned a Doctorate in Occupational Therapy from Misericordia University, Dallas, PA and have been an occupational therapist for 18 years, serving school-aged children and adults. I’m winner of multiple awards including the 2020 American Occupational Therapy Association Emerging and Innovative Practice Award & a Mom’s Choice Gold Medal. I am an international speaker and enjoy presenting on topics related to the twelve resources I’ve authored including:
- The Interoception Curriculum: A Step-by-Step Framework for Developing Mindful Self-Regulation-used in over 30 countries worldwide
- Interoception Activity Cards
You May Also Like These Courses:
- Interoception Assessment: Dilemmas and Practical Solutions
- Toileting, Interoception & Nutrition: An Evidence-Based Approach for Promoting Toileting Success and Independence
- Unsafe, Unheard and Misunderstood: Trauma from Being Atypical Living in a Typical World